Tuesday 10 September 2013

Hippie-de-doo-dah

Now, I know this will all sound a bit cheesy & isn't to everyone's taste, but recently I've found loads of people interested in the meditation group I attend. So I thought I would chat a bit about it & how I ended up discovering it!


Over the past couple of years I have become more interested in 'mindfulness'. It all started when I read The Secret, which focuses on positive thinking & visualising your goals. It totally sparked my interest & led to me reading other similar books. The Alchemist is a great book, it's written like a story about a little Shepard boy, & shows us a lot of how everything happens for a reason, & how to follow signs towards your 'destiny'. Then I went on to read The Celestine Prophecy, which is also written as a story, & explains people's behavioural patterns, & how people tend to drain energy from each other in order to feel better about themselves.




I went through a certain time of being very stressed, having anxiety attacks etc. over the tiniest things, sometimes over nothing. So that pushed me to basically chill out more, & I thought I'd give meditation a go! I started attending a group every Tuesday night called Wake Up Glasgow. It's a great bunch of people, very laid back & welcoming vibe, I would say it's perfect for anybody considering trying it out but a bit nervous or unsure what to expect. I feel a huge change in myself over the past few months since starting, I'm much happier & very rarely get stressed out any more. If it's something you've considered for even a minute, I'd say go for it! We have organised a retreat in October I'll be going along to, so I'll pop up a post about that too.




The book I'm reading at the moment is really interesting too, Add More -ing To Your Life. At first I wasn't really diggin' it, but the more I'm reading I can really relate to the author. There's a lot of issues anyone can identify with, a big thing I've taken from it is how much a person's ego can hold them back. That little voice of niggling doubt that tells you 'you're not good enough' or 'you can't do this'. There's loads of exercises throughout the book, including meditation, that can help you deal with day to day situations. The writer also started this amazing website, aimed at women bringing women together to help & support each other www.herfuture.com.


I hope some of you can relate to this & maybe take something from it to help bring a bit more peace in to your own hectic lives :). I could talk all day about this, so if any of you would like more info don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for reading my jibber, as always it's much appreciated!

Peace & Love, 


3 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I haven't read The Secret, but I've watched the film - and it definitely opened my eyes to certain things I could be doing better.

    You know, I actually own The Alchemist, but I have yet to read it. I keep hearing lovely things about it, but never got around to giving it a go. I'll have to jump on that train soon! Lol.

    I think it's so awesome to hear that you've come so far from being anxious and over-thinking to a more relaxed state of being. Very inspiring, hun!

    xoxo
    Shamia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shamia! I strongly recommend The Alchemist, I learned a lot from it about looking for signs, & how everything happens for a reason. My favourite lesson I took from it was that one day the Shepard boy was guiding his sheep to a certain place, but they fell sick and he was running behind schedule. He was annoyed, and had to spend the night & continue the journey the next day, when he just wanted to get it over & done with. But what he didn't know was, if he was on time with his journey, there was a gang of robbers waiting to ambush him. So this was the universe's way of saving him from that. Really makes you think!

      Emma xx

      Delete